Honeywell HUL530 Series Ultra Glow Light Changing Humidifier and Diffuser
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
READ AND SAVE THESE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS HUMIDIFIER
When using electrical appliances, basic precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons, including the following:
- The humidifier should ALWAYS be placed on a firm, flat, waterproof surface at least three feet (1.2m) away from bedside, 12 inches (30cm) from the wall. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
- Be sure the humidifier is in a stable position and the power cord is away from heated surfaces and out of the way to prevent the humidifier from being overturned.
- DO NOT leave the humidifier unattended in a closed room. Doing so may result in personal injury or property damage. If room becomes saturated, open the door and turn the humidifier off or down.
- Before using the humidifier, extend the cord and inspect for any signs of damage. DO NOT use the unit if the cord has been damaged. DO NOT operate with power cord coiled or with twist tie in place.
- The humidifier has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other) as a safety feature. This plug will fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. DO NOT attempt to defeat this safety feature.
- CAUTION: To avoid fire or electric shock hazard, plug the humidifier directly into a 120V AC electrical outlet. To avoid risk of fire, electric shock, or personal injury, NEVER use an extension cord or power strip.
- The humidifier should ALWAYS be unplugged and emptied when not in operation or while being cleaned. Turn off and unplug humidifier before moving. DO NOT move or tilt humidifier while it is in operation. Plug and unplug unit with dry hands. NEVER pull by cord.
- DO NOT operate the humidifier without water. Turn off and unplug unit when tank is empty.
- Humidifier requires regular cleaning. Refer to and follow cleaning instructions.
- DO NOT operate outdoors; this humidifier is intended for indoor residential use only.
- DO NOT place in direct sunlight, high temperature areas or near computers or sensitive electronic equipment.
- DO NOT cover or insert objects into any openings on the unit. DO NOT block intake or output vents.
- DO NOT touch the nebulizer while the unit is plugged in, as burns could result.
- DO NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this humidifier. Doing so will void your warranty.
- DO NOT add any medication into Mist Outlet, Base, Reservoir, or Water Tank, except as specified by this manual.
- For Residential Use Only.
GETTING TO KNOW YOUR COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER
How it Works
Water is released from the Water Tank into the Reservoir. A Nebulizer vibrates at ultrasonic frequency, breaking the water into a fine mist. The mist is quietly propelled by a fan up a vertical Mist Chamber to the Mist Outlet where the cool, visible mist enters the room. This humidifier will shut off when the water level is low or when the Tank is removed from the Base.
- Tank Handle (not shown)
- Mist Outlet
- Water Tank
- Essential Oil Pad
- Essential Oil Tray
- Power Knob
- Cleaning Brush
- Tank Light
- Tank Cap
SETTING UP YOUR HUMIDIFIER
Unpack the Humidifier
Keep this Owner’s Manual for reference
- Remove packaging materials. Remove twist tie from power cord and extend power cord to full length.
- Place on a firm, level, water resistant surface a minimum of 12” (30cm) from any walls. Mist should be directed away from any walls, bedding and furniture.
Hard Water and White Dust
- High mineral content in your water, also known as hard water, may cause a white mineral residue to accumulate on surfaces in the room near the humidifier. This mineral residue is commonly referred to as white dust. The higher the mineral content (hardness) of your water, the greater the potential that an ultrasonic humidifier may produce white dust.
- White dust is not a result of a defect or flaw in the humidifier. It is a result of the amount of minerals suspended in the water you are using.
- To reduce white dust, use distilled water or a Protec PDC51V2 (PDC51CV2 in Canada) Demineralization Cartridge available through Consumer Relations; see back of this manual.
NOTE: Tank should be carried using two hands; one hand on the Tank Handle and the other supporting the bottom of the Tank. Kaz USA, Inc. will not accept responsibility for property damage caused by water spillage.
This Humidifier holds 1/2 gallon (1.9L) of water (tank and reservoir combined).
ALWAYS turn the humidifier off before removing the Water Tank.
- Remove Water Tank and turn upside down. Remove Tank Cap by turning counterclockwise (left). Fill Tank with cool water. DO NOT fill with warm or hot water.
- Replace Tank Cap by turning clockwise (right), aligning arrow to lock symbol. Be sure Gasket is in place.
- Place Tank on Base. Water will drain from the Tank into the Reservoir when the Plunger is engaged.
USING YOUR HUMIDIFIER
NOTE: Position humidifier to direct mist output away from walls, furniture and bedding.
- The OFF position , plug the humidifier into a polarized 120V outlet.
CAUTION: TO AVOID ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT PLUG A HUMIDIFIER INTO AN OUTLET WITH WET HANDS.
- Turn Power Knob to the right to turn on, then turn to left or right to set desired mist level.
- Humidity Level: When a comfortable humidity level is reached, turn Power Knob to a lower setting.
A comfortable humidity level is between 40-60%. Consider using a humidity monitor (not included) to display current room humidity and temperature.
If you notice condensation on the walls, windows or around the humidifier, the humidity level is too high. Open doors to the room or turn off humidifier until humidity level drops.
This humidifier features a directional Mist Outlet. Use this feature to direct the mist where you want it most. The Outlet will rotate up to 90º in each direction from front to reduce white dust ingestion in the rear air input vent.
Soothing Light Feature
This humidifier features a soothing light feature that adds ambience to the room. The light feature cycles through 7 colors every 35 seconds. It can be paused on any color and the lights can be dimmed or turned off at any time. The light feature can be used even when the humidifier is turned off (no mist) as long as the unit is plugged in. When turning the light feature on it will default to color cycling.
Press & RELEASE light icon
- 1st press – turns light feature on; cycles through colors
- 2nd press – pauses at selected color until pressed again
- 3rd press – turns light feature off
Press & HOLD to adjust the brightness of lights
- Light will fade from bright to dim to off while holding
Essential Oil Use
Enjoy your favorite essential oils in two different ways:
- As a traditional diffuser by adding oil directly to the water in the Tank. The Water Tank and Reservoir are made with special materials that will not be damaged by oils. The oil will be diffused into the air in the cool mist produced by the humidifier.
- As a more subtle scent experience by adding oil to a special tray. The aroma from the oil enters the room through the air path and does not come in contact with the water.
NOTE: Essential oils are not included.
Add essential oil directly to the water in the Tank. Follow instructions from the essential oil manufacturer for use instructions, keeping in mind that the humidifier tank holds ½ gallon of water.
WARNING: ADD ONLY ESSENTIAL OILS TO THE WATER IN THE WATER TANK. ADDING ANYTHING ELSE TO THE WATER TANK CAN HAVE AN ADVERSE EFFECT ON THE HUMIDIFIER AND VOID THE WARRANTY.
Essential Oil Tray
- Press the Tray Door to open.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to the Pad.
- To clean the Essential Oil Tray, gently wipe residue from the Tray.
Replacement essential oil pads can be ordered through Consumer Relations; see back of this manual.
This humidifier has been designed to be used with the Protec ® PDC51V2
(PDC51CV2 in Canada) Demineralization Cartridge (not included). In hard water areas, use of distilled water or a demineralization cartridge with tap water will help minimize the production of white dust. Cartridges can be ordered through Consumer Relations; see back of this manual.
For best results, use fresh clean water every day.
CLEANING YOUR HUMIDIFIER
To keep your humidifier running efficiently, clean it regularly. Weekly cleaning is recommended. All maintenance should be done in the kitchen or bathroom on a water-resistant surface near a faucet.
To properly clean your humidifier, we recommend the separate processes of Scale Removal and Disinfecting. These two processes must be performed separately.
- Turn off and unplug the humidifier. Never clean the humidifier when it is running.
- Remove Water Tank and empty it completely from the Tank and Base. Remove any accessories from the Water Tank and Base.
Follow steps 1-2 in Before Cleaning section, then follow the additional steps below.
- Pour 2 cups (.5 liters) of undiluted distilled white vinegar into the Water Tank.
- Replace Tank Cap and swish vinegar in Tank to coat the inside of the Water Tank.
- Place Tank on Base, allowing vinegar to drain into the Water Reservoir. The vinegar will loosen mineral buildup on the Nebulizer, Plunger and in the bottom of the Tank. Soak for 20 minutes.
- While soaking, remove the Mist Outlet and wipe with cloth soaked in vinegar.
- Remove Water Tank and empty vinegar into sink.
- Use a soft cloth or the included Cleaning Brush to gently clean Nebulizer, and all areas in the Reservoir. NOTE: Nebulizer is fragile. DO NOT apply extreme pressure.
- Pour vinegar from the Base into the sink. Pour from the side to avoid leaking into Control Knob. Rinse the Tank and Reservoir with clean water until the smell of vinegar is gone.
CAUTION: DO NOT SUBMERGE BASE IN WATER. DOING SO WILL DAMAGE THE HUMIDIFIER AND VOID THE WARRANTY.
Before starting the disinfecting process, follow Steps 1-2 in the Before Cleaning section.
NOTE: Bleach may stain clothes. It is recommended to wear rubber gloves during this process to protect your hands.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of bleach to 1/2 gallon (1.9L) of water and add to Water Tank.
- Replace Tank Cap and swish bleach solution in Tank to coat the inside of the Water Tank.
- Place Tank on Base, allowing solution to drain into the Water Reservoir. Soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove Water Tank and empty solution into sink.
- Pour bleach solution from the Base into the sink. Pour from the side to avoid leaking into Control Knob. Rinse the Tank and Reservoir with clean water until the smell of bleach is gone.
CAUTION: DO NOT SUBMERGE BASE IN WATER. DOING SO WILL DAMAGE THE HUMIDIFIER AND VOID THE WARRANTY.
END OF SEASON CARE AND STORAGE
Follow the cleaning instructions when the humidifier will not be used for at least one week, or at the end of the season. At the end of the season, remove any accessories from the humidifier.
Dry the humidifier completely before storing. DO NOT store with water inside the Water Tank. Pack unit in original carton and store in a cool, dry location.
|No power lights||• Unit not plugged in
• Unit is not turned on
|• Plug unit in
• Turn unit on
|Power is on and little or||• No water in Tank||• Fill Water Tank|
|no mist is produced||• Mineral deposits on Nebulizer||• Clean Nebulizer (Refer to Cleaning Your|
|• Power setting may be too low||• Turn Power knob to the right to|
|increase mist level|
|• Auto shut off feature has been||• Reset the humidifier by turning it off for|
|engaged||a few seconds, then turn back on|
|• The demineralization cartridge||• Remove Cartridge; contact Consumer|
|(sold separately) may be beyond||Relations for replacement|
|its service life|
|Lights Blinking||• Water may have dripped on light button||• Dry light button with soft cloth|
|Unit is leaking||• Tank may be damaged
• Tank Cap is not tight
• Tank Cap Gasket may be missing
• Unit may not be on a level surface
|• Check for cracks on tank and contact Consumer Relations
to replace, if necessary.
• Tighten Tank Cap
• Check to see if Gasket is attached to inside of Cap; contact Consumer Relations for replacement
• Be sure unit is level
|Condensation forms around humidifier or on windows||• Mist intensity is set too high
for room size or current humidity level
|• Decrease mist output to low setting or open door to the room|
|White dust settling on surfaces in room||• Mineral content in hard water||• Dilute tap water with distilled water to minimize white dust
• PDC51V2 (PDC51CV2 in Canada) Demineralization Cartridge; contact Consumer Relations to purchase
NOTE: Failure to keep this unit clean from mineral deposits normally contained in any water supply will affect the efficiency of operation of this unit. Failure to follow these instructions may void the warranty.
- We are here to help. Call us toll-free at: 1-800-477-0457
- E-mail: ConsumerRelations@HelenofTroy.com
- Or visit our website at: www.HoneywellPluggedIn.com
- Please be sure to specify Model number HUL530
NOTE: IF YOU EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM, PLEASE CONTACT CONSUMER RELATIONS FIRST OR SEE YOUR WARRANTY. DO NOT RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL PLACE OF PURCHASE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE MOTOR HOUSING YOURSELF, DOING SO MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE HUMIDIFIER OR PERSONAL INJURY.
- Electrical rating: 120V, 60Hz., 25W
- Capacity: 1/2 Gallon (1.9 L)
This device complies with Part 18 of the FCC rules.
Warning: Changes or modifications to this unit not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment. This equipment has been tested and found to comply within the limits for Consumer ISM equipment, pursuant to Part 18 of the FCC rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy, and if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference with radio communications. However, there is no guarantee That interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio TV technician for help.
2 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
You should first read all instructions before attempting to use this product.
This 2 year limited warranty applies to repair or replacement of product found to be defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to damage resulting from commercial, abusive, unreasonable use or supplemental damage. Defects that are the result of normal wear and tear will not be considered manufacturing defects under this warranty.
KAZ IS NOT LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you also may have other rights which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product from the original date of purchase.
- A. At its option, Kaz will repair or replace this product if it is found to be defective in material or workmanship.
- B. This warranty does not cover damage resulting from any unauthorized attempts to repair or from any use not in accordance with the instruction manual.
- C. This warranty does not cover the filters, pre-filters, UV bulbs or other accessories (if included) except for material or workmanship defects.
Documents / Resources
|Honeywell HUL530 Series Ultra Glow Light Changing Humidifier and Diffuser [pdf] Owner's Manual|
HUL530 Series, Ultra Glow Light Changing Humidifier and Diffuser